Monday, October 8, 2012

Unniyappam -

After coming to Kuwait my main job is cooking.... In India I use to cook once in a while but here I have to cook on a daily basis as I have become a homemaker...hence at the end of the day I need to give the best food for my hubby... He loves my cooking and the way it turns out to be... Though we get everything over here but its very costly compared to India. I really miss being in Chennai... I created this blog a long time ago but I dint get time to do blogging so far. As I was going through many blogs I felt why don't I come up with my own blog for cooking. To start up with I am going to give you the recipe for a traditional Kerala snack called Unniyappam. It is a traditional snack prepared during festive times... My hubby inspired me to prepare this as he likes this a lot... I was doubtful when i started to prepare it as I dint have the Unniyappam pan but i managed to prepare it using normal pan. 

The recipe is as below 




  • Rice Flour - 2 cup
  • Banana - 2 ripe (mashed properly)
  • Jaggery - 3/4 cup
  • Cardamon powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Sesame Seeds - 1tsp
  • Coconut bits - 3 tbsp 
  • Ghee or oil to fry
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Aniseed (Perinjeerakam) Powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Milk - One glass (Optional)
First take the Rice flour and put cardamon powder, sesame seeds, Aniseed and salt into it and mix properly. In another vessel mash the banana properly and mix with the flour. In a pan heat oil and fry the coconut bits. Mix the fried coconut with the rice flour. Head a pan and melt the jaggery and pour slowly into the Rice flour. See to that it is mixed properly. If batter is too thick add little milk to it. 

The consistency of batter should be similar to idli batter.  keep it aside for 2 hrs to 3 hrs. 

Take a pan and pour the oil and heat it. Start pouring the batter slowly and fry it in medium heat. Take it out when the colour changes to brownish yellow.


Serve hot and do keep it in an air tight container for storage. 

Hope all of you liked it... do leave your valuable comments :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment